Each response should be at least 150 words.
Below is another students’ discussion posts and respond in Prompt #1 which is below- write a least 60 words on whether and why you agree or disagree with what they said.
I total agree that there should be reparations for African Americans. Ta-Nehisi Coates’s Testimony on Reparations underscores why it should not be up for discussion, slaves were and the largest single asset to American Slave owners, more than all other assets in the country. We are still suffering from the ill of slavery beyond the 1800’s into modern day society as we continue to strive to bring equity in all facets of society for African Americans. There are so many families that as the articles state did not get the enjoy the benefits of economic security, and when we did with such communities like Black Wall Street, once again they were wiped out to reduce political and economic power and freedom that comes with wealth. Finally, for all the products that were designed, developed, and contributed to make America, the great nation its supposedly is, African Americans and their generations that followed are owed to opportunity to joy the benefits of their building of America and those products we benefit from today. This argument that individuals of today are not responsible for the ill will of those before them should also not have the benefits of the ill that those individuals stole.
In theory, the three acres and a mule should apply, including land and the teaching of how to cultivate that land into an economic wealth for their families. In addition, generations of family’s impact by redlining, bombing and displacement of black wealth economic centers and patents should be either restored with an education component around the importance of managing wealth. The victims and their family members are very much alive today and we continue to see laws and practices today that continue to prolong the inequity in our communities.
1. From the course materials, what is the core argument in favor of believing that affluent people (whose basic needs are met and have some luxuries) are morally obligated to assist people in absolute poverty? Attempt to state the argument in logically valid form, so it is clear what the premises are and how they lead to the conclusion.
2. What are is one of the most interesting, challenging, and serious objections to this argument, or arguments for the conclusion that we are not morally obligated to help people in absolute poverty? Attempt to state the argument or objection in logically valid form, so it is clear what the premises are and how they lead to the conclusion.
3. What are reparations in general, and what particular forms could reparations to African-Americans for slavery take?
4. From the course materials, what is at least one of the most important arguments given in favor of reparations, that is, for the conclusion that reparations are morally obligatory or justice requires reparations? Attempt to state the argument or objection in logically valid form, so it is clear what the premises are and how they lead to the conclusion.
5. From the course materials, what is at least one of the most important arguments against the claim that reparations are obligatory or required by justice? Attempt to state the argument or objection in logically valid form, so it is clear what the premises are and how they lead to the conclusion.